I am truly a mom over the top! I have been a compulsive overeater for most of my life. The first time I remember specific over the top eating behaviors was when I was 13 years old. That was 24 years ago. I started on this journey to health, to abstinence, to sanity in May, 2010. I hope that by blogging I can help, not only myself, but help others to know that they aren't alone. My tools on this journey are Overeaters Anonymous and SparkPeople.

On the road

I saw my Dr. yesterday.  Can I just say that I love her.  I have been very lucky over the years, I have an amazing FEMALE OB as well.  About 20 years ago I started seeing a woman in the practice I had gone to since birth.  Several years later she switched practices to one much further from my house.  I was very lucky that when my current practice replaced her they not only replaced her with another amazing female Dr. but one that is a little younger than me and I hope to stick with for as long as she hangs around the practice.  She has known me for a while now, she watched our struggle with infertility, she has dealt with my chronic sinus issues and all of the little things over the years to keep me healthy.  She asks about my family.  She takes the time to actually get to know her patients and I couldn't appreciate her more.


Anyhow, I saw her yesterday and we talked about my depression, about my concern over my weight.   I hadn't thought about weight loss aids until her nurse brought it up while I was in tears.  I discussed it all with my Dr. and she was so supportive.  She prescribed the antidepressant that I was hoping to return to and an appetite suppressant to help be get through this battle with my food obsession.   I took the first dose of a/d last night and the first appetite suppressant this morning.


I have my first OA meeting tonight.  I am very nervous.  I don't do well in large groups of strangers but I can't think that there could be a more supportive environment.  I still want to see a counselor that deals specifically with eating disorders and I found a practice nearby that specializes in them but for now $60 a week (co-pay) for counseling may be cost prohibitive.


I am hoping to start bringing in more cash with my crochet but the problem with handmade items is that they take hours to make so there is a cap to the amount of income I can actually develop.  Very simple skull caps take around an hour of work with no embellishments and more complicated hats take two or three hours.  Outfits can have 5-10 hours of work depending on the style.  Blankets are around 5-10 hours depending on the size and yarn.  When you break down the cost of supplies I charge about $3 an hour for my work...it doesn't add up quickly but I love doing it and when my hands are busy hooking they aren't busy shoveling food in my face.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
The benefit of the appetite suppressant is that I am not tired, for the first time in ages.  I don't feel tired.  I don't feel like I only have enough energy to sit on the couch all day.  I am raring to get moving on housework...gotta run :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Mom Over The Top