I am truly a mom over the top! I have been a compulsive overeater for most of my life. The first time I remember specific over the top eating behaviors was when I was 13 years old. That was 24 years ago. I started on this journey to health, to abstinence, to sanity in May, 2010. I hope that by blogging I can help, not only myself, but help others to know that they aren't alone. My tools on this journey are Overeaters Anonymous and SparkPeople.

Defying Gravity





If this song can't lift you up then nothing can.   This journey toward health is like beginning a new life.  For me it was about giving up a lot of the old things in my life.   It might not seem like decisions to be healthy would be difficult but sometimes they seem impossible.  For years I knew what I should do but couldn't bring myself to do it.  I knew I should give up fast food, give up sugar, give up chocolate (oh the horror).  I knew that each day I should eat fruits and vegetables.  I knew that I should get off of my depressed butt and move.  Knowing what you should do and doing it are two different things.  Especially when you are battling a disease like compulsive overeating.  

In May I came to a realization that I had an addiction and with that realization came an internal change.  I think that's why I love this song so much.  I leaped.   I have discovered that loving myself and treating myself with love are probably the most important things that I can do in this life.  When I do my light shines.  It sounds cheesy, I know.   It seems like the whole world is brighter when I am making healthy decisions.  Yes, some days are very very hard but I step back, re-evaluate my goals tweak them if I need to and move forward.     I know my goals and what it will take to get me there.  I have faith in God and myself that I can do this.  

I defy gravity on a very nearly daily basis now.  I resist temptations and the more I resist the easier it becomes.   I chose life and love and health.   Now I can fly!


On a side note if you are a music lover and you haven't watched Glee you are missing out.  If you loved theatre in high school or college then you must watch Glee.  If you are a fan of stage or movie musicals and you haven't watched Glee yet I am truly ashamed of you...lol.   Give it a shot!  My husband was reluctant to watch thinking that it wasn't his thing at all but once he started watching he was hooked by the writing in addition to the music.  Of course it didn't hurt that the season finale was a Queen tribute :-D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Mom Over The Top